SFU VentureLabs is one of Canada’s leading technology accelerators, helping science and technology-based new ventures turn ideas into profitable, sustainable businesses, supporting them with programs and services. We connect entrepreneurs with experienced mentors and a network of resources focused on tackling the unique challenges and complexities faced by technology innovators.
We have several positions available for students to help our client companies accelerate their growth. As part of the VentureLabs Marketing Services team, you will support not only VentureLabs, but also a wide range of our portfolio companies (30+) with marketing services.
Your days will be varied, with enormous learning opportunities in many facets of marketing, across a wide variety of companies, technologies, and industries.
You’ll work with members of the SFU VentureLabs staff and mentors who have strong marketing and communications backgrounds and will help establish the marketing strategy, providing coaching, and will be there when you need them.
Key integrated marketing areas where your skills may be utilized:
- Work with client companies to define and develop sales and technical literature suite, including web content, brochures, newsletters, customer success stories, advertising copy, web copy, and sales communications and tools.
- Help clients identify Communications Goals and tactics to achieve them.
- Establish, monitor, and engage on recommended social media channels for client companies.
- Develop content for online marketing, using websites, marketing automation, and other digital vehicles as appropriate (social media, SEO, paid advertising, etc.).
Contribute to the design and implementation of clients’ site content, develop and create material to ensure the site remains fresh and inspires visitors.
- Uses web analytics and marketing automation tools when appropriate. Monitor and improve usability of sites and campaign effectiveness.
- Work with clients’ marketing, sales & product teams to determine appropriate timing, volume, and nature of sales pipeline and lead to opportunity processes.
- Execute cost effective and successful lead generation programs and events and qualify them into sales opportunities, in alignment with overall go-to-market plan and objectives.
- Work with the Director of Programs and VentureLabs marketing team to design and deliver events – in person and virtual – for our client companies and broader community.
- Work with partners to market and promote their events and integrate VentureLabs programs into their events.
- Provide visibility for VentureLabs in the technology community and at events in conjunction with Venture Labs staff and mentors.
- Work with client companies to identify, select and attend or exhibit at key events to support brand and demand generation objectives. Manage presence at these events.
Marketing Operations & Research
- Establish (minimal) processes and tools needed to execute the marketing plan, including tools for digital marketing, newsletters, social networking, and CRM.
- Create and analyze metrics to assess marketing program effectiveness.
- Conduct market research to assess competitive landscape and market factors
- Support customer discovery and segmentation efforts.
- Maintain company databases.
- Perform administrative tasks as required.
- Work with senior marketing staff and client company leaders to define and build the brand, key messages, and reputation of VentureLabs and client companies.
- Drive awareness and interest in products and solutions of client companies.
- Support VentureLabs marketing team in driving the public relations program to position VentureLabs as a leading accelerator.
- Support client companies with PR programs, including drafting of news releases, stories, articles, and identifying key influencers (media contacts, industry analysts, thought leaders) for outreach to gain coverage.
You are a self-motivated individual, capable of juggling a wide variety of responsibilities, and working independently, as at least initially, all members of the team will work from home. You must be comfortable working with cross-department and cross-company teams of entrepreneurs and mentors.
As a part of the team, you may specialise in one area, such as writing, web design, or project coordination, or you may take on a series of projects, crossing multiple areas.
You will have:
- Courses towards your Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, with a focus on communications, marketing, writing, and/or graphics/digital design
- An understanding of key concepts for marketing communications, digital marketing, and event planning
- Skills creating both visual and content continuity in materials
- A strong understanding of the principles of strategic marketing and tactics
- Strong CMS knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Strong organizational skills for managing multiple projects
- Ability to work independently on projects and also collaborate as a team member
- Experience with the MS Office suite, Google suite, Adobe suite, WordPress, marketing automation software, and design tools