Updated: July 13, 2018
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information may be collected by direct and indirect means. We may collect the Data that you disclose to us through your use of our Sites or Services as well as other information described below.
Personal Information You Provide
Your voluntary disclosure of your Data, as you engage with the Sites or Services for various purposes, including account openings, event, newsletter or program registration; or submission of other information to us, may include, but not be limited to:
- basic personal information, including your name, occupation, business name and contact information;
- information about your preferences with respect to dietary restrictions, learning interests, business needs; and employment related information;
- credit card information; and
- any feedback you provide regarding our products and services which may have content that includes your Data.
- Collection of this information is necessary for us in order to carry out the applicable actions (as set out under Part B below).
Information Collected Automatically
During your use of our Sites and your communication with us, we may collect and store anonymous information (“Automatic Information”) about you using various technologies including, without limitation, Cookies, which are alphanumeric identifiers that are stored on your device with which you access the Sites, and Internet tags. Some of this information is automatically transmitted to us through your browser, such as the URL of the most recently visited web page, the date of the visit and the browser version that your computer uses, and the date of visit.
USE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We’ll use your data respectfully, for specific purposes which are aligned with your engagement with us, and we will not sell your Data. To accomplish any of the purposes listed below, we may combine your Data, Automatic Information, and non-personal information collected through your use of our Services. This information may be used in a variety of ways which are in keeping with the intent behind the collection of information. For instance, your Data collected for:
- account-opening and membership would be used to process payments, provide you access to the portions of the Sites which require account access, send information that you would receive as an account holder/member, and administer and monitor your account usage/membership;
- receipt of information would be used to contact you for the purpose of marketing, promotional offers, updates and any other purpose as permitted by you in the course of your interaction with us and the Sites and Services;
- engagement in a program may be used to connect you to members of our team as applicable for a program you are participating in;
- event attendance may be used for purposes of managing your participation in the event;
- feedback may be used to improve our services or provide you with information you requested; and
- all the above may be used to better match our offerings with your preferences and priorities.
In addition, the Automatic Information collected may be used to, among other things:
- monitor characteristics of and statistics on usage of our Sites;
- refine our Sites’ features and functionality; and
- collect information about browsing and refine your experience when you use the Sites, (e.g. Cookies allow us to adjust our Sites to meet your personal browsing preferences. If your browser is not set to allow Cookies, you may not have access to all areas or features of the Sites.).
We also reserve the right to use your Data and Automatic Information as set forth in our Terms, if applicable.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
Disclosure to others is only done for execution of SFU VentureLabs goals or to comply with laws.
- To Help with Business Operations
We may disclose your information to our representatives, affiliates, suppliers or other third parties with whom we do business (collectively, our “Partners”) when it is deemed necessary for our business operations. For example, from time to time, we may engage companies or individuals for certain services on our behalf including, without limitation, conducting audits, performing legal services, processing credit card payments, collecting feedback, utilizing data to improve our marketing or Services, and providing customer service. Our Partners and any other third-party service providers will only have incidental access to your Data to the extent required to perform their services. They are prohibited from the use of your Data for any purpose other than assisting with our business operations.
- Safety and Security
We may disclose your information as necessary to protect the safety or security of other users of our Services, to detect and prevent fraud or abusive behaviour, or when otherwise required or permitted by law.
- Transfer or Sale
- Legal Requirement
We may disclose your information, if required, to:
- supervisory authorities, tax authorities, police and other regulatory authorities as required by law or in response to a subpoena, court order, or other legally valid inquiry or order; and
- to either prevent/minimize a criminal offense or to protect a person’s rights and personal and or financial health.
- PROTECTING, RETAINING AND STORING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We’ll keep your data secure, for as long as needed, in locations that reflect where systems of our service providers reside. You’re consenting to your data being stored in Canada and elsewhere in the world.
Protection. In order to help prevent unauthorized access to and maintain data accuracy and ensure the correct use of your Data, we have put in place commercially reasonable physical, electronic (e.g. SSL (secure socket layer) server authentication) and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect in relation to our Services. While we will make every reasonable effort to keep your Data secure we cannot guarantee that (i) despite our best effort your information will remain private, (ii) the information you transmit to us over the Internet will not be intercepted, (iii) any third party’s system (e.g. ticketing, payment or other platforms) will appropriately safeguard any information you provide over such system.
Identification. To help prevent unauthorized access to your Data you are responsible for keeping any username and password (collectively, “ID”) that you receive upon opening any accounts, for use on any Sites or in conjunction with our Services, private and confidential. You are solely responsible for preventing the unauthorized use of your ID. If you suspect that your information has been compromised or that your account has been accessed without your consent, please contact us immediately at email@example.com.
Retention. We may store your Data from the date of collecting such information for (i) as long as necessary to provide you our Services, or (ii) to comply with governmental requirements, whichever is longer.
If you communicate with us, you’re consenting to us communicating with you.
Should you submit an inquiry through our Sites, or otherwise communicate with us electronically, you consent to us responding to such inquiries electronically or as otherwise required.
ACCESSING AND MODIFYING YOUR PERSONAL AND ACCOUNT INFORMATION
You can ask us to provide you information about what data we have about you and take steps to modify any incorrect data.
We want to ensure your personal information is accurate and up to date. If you notice any inaccuracies, please let us know. At any time, you may request access to your Data by contacting us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request within a reasonable time period, and process it as appropriate under applicable law. Your request may be subject to a processing fee as allowed under law.
Attention: Privacy Officer